Insert body text here ...
History of the
WEST VANCOUVER FIRE SERVICE
The society started in 1986 by a few fire fighters working in the West Vancouver Fire Department.
They needed a way to care for archival material and fire fighting equipment that was retired from operational use - a great idea; but in a few years there was a problem! The Fire Department was throwing things away, and we were collecting them up and bringing it all back in!
The Fire Department has very limited space and we were collecting lots of memorabilia along with a few fire trucks. Most of the smaller stuff went into fire fighters basements, garages etc. We had two trucks (a third truck was donated to BC's truck museum - we wanted it back!)
The society tried very hard to get space donated but with no luck. We made no less than 27 seperate pleas to the city, we got close but no cigar.
In 2004, the West Vancouver Municipality donated some land behind one of the fire stations. Not the best location but nice and flat and easy to build on. We couldn't build a museum, we where in a residential neighbourhood. We where allowed to build a storage and restoration building with a some display space. The timing was very good for us, a few years before we had got back our 1949 International Pumper from the BC Museum and we were having a hard time parking it under cover.
The Municipality, with the Fire Department gave us a little seed money,
and with help from local service clubs, personel gifts and 100% volunteer labour, we built the restoration / display buiding.
The building is situated above No. 4 Fire Station on Cross Creek Road in West Vancouver.
We are a 100 percent volunteer society, and a registered charity in Canada.