Insert body text here ...
History of the
WEST VANCOUVER FIRE SERVICE
New No. 1 Fire Hall opened at 13th and Marine (P.S.B.) - April 15 - 1954 T.B.F.(Flint) McKim taken on as first paid Fire Department member. October 20 - Purchase of Truck #31.
Vehicle inventory - Housed at new Fire hall, which we moved into on August 15.
1954 Thibault #31,
1942 International #36,
1931 G.M.C. Service vehicle.
1953 Chev., Chief's car.
1949 International #32 No. 2 Hall
1948 Willy's Jeep #34, No. 2 Hall
1951 Ford LaFrance #33, No. 3 Hall.
Also in 1954 - The Vietnamese took the Gabrielle strongpoint against the French in the battle of Dien Bien Phu.
Purchase of Ambulance (Volkswagen) and intoduction into the Ambulance business.
Purchase of new Chief's car - 56 Ford Ranch Wagon.
209 Calls for year.
December 7 - fire at 950 Sentinel Drive - Hullah House.
Opened Fire Hall No. 2 in Horseshoe Bay.
Purchased 1958 Ford Amblewagon #38.
Purchased 1958 Thibault #39.
Built new Fire Hall No. 2 Hall on Nelson & Marine.
Also in 1959 - Elvis Presley made the album charts, with "For LP Fans Only", the first LP ever issued without the artist’s name anywhere on the cover.
New Chief's car.
1961 Ford C850 Pumper #36 added.
One firefighter added for Warden duties.
New car #38 - 63 Pontiac Ambulance.
Hired three firefighters.
Also in 1964 - Jack Ruby was found guilty of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, alleged assassin of United States President John F. Kennedy.
Hired one firefighter.
1965 - Israel accepted West Germany's request to establish diplomatic relations
Hired Control Room (radio dispatch) firefighter.
Hired replacement Control Room firefighter. Bought Rescue Truck #40 and new Chief's car #37.
Opened new No. 1 Fire Hall (current building) at 760 16th. Street.
Mrs. Ruth Stout, moved the Santa Claus Fund operation into No. 1 Fire Hall’s basement in November.